Offering a range of activities and games to engage children and encourage motivation in the classroom, this essential classroom companion provides ready-to-use material that doesn’t need lengthy forward preparation. Activities include auditory and visual mnemonics, phonetics and tactile tasks.
These practical and fun ideas incorporate a variety of learning styles, using kinaesthetic and auditory techniques, that put the emphasis on ‘games’ rather than ‘work’. The activities are especially suitable for teaching assistants working with individuals or small groups. The book works step-by-step through practical activities which:
- keep children motivated and enjoying learning
- don't require extensive knowledge or experience from the adult
- are adult-led so children don't have the opportunity to repeat mistakes
- are grouped into different basic skills, so teachers can choose the activity best suited for the child’s needs
- have clear, concise and pedagogically sound reasons for the activity
- include extension activity where appropriate to challenge pupils.
Aimed mainly at primary pupils, secondary teachers will also find this book invaluable to use with pupils who are falling behind. The series facilitates good inclusive provision and is a resource from which useful ideas and materials can be taken without having to plough through chapters of theory and research.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Sue Smith has been a primary school SENCO and Reading Recovery teacher, who now specialises in one-to-one teaching of children with specific learning difficulties/dyslexia.